Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Filters for black & white

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Jeremy Lunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2003
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey all,

    I was just wondering how many of you use special filters for your Super 8 cinematograhy (especially for black and white). I just stumbled upon a cacheload of them for my Nikon Super Zoom 8 and have tried out some of them with mixed results...

    Blue - One bright sunny day I put this on and tried lowering the exposure by one stop (I was using the old 50 ASA Plus-X), filming for about ten seconds, then lowring it by another stop and trying to film it again, then lowered another stop and did it again. When I projected it I was pleaswed to see that it created a decent (though still not great) day-for-night effect.

    Star filter - This one was sort of cool, I tried filming the huge floodlights outside my dorm at night with Tri-X. Everything except the points of light (as I expected) came out black, but the star effect was neat.

    Fog filter - Again I tried filming on a bright sunny day and it produced a neat hazy effect. I also combined it with the blue to create another day-for night effect.

    Three-image filter - Didn't like this one, it made it very difficult to get the focus correct and it just looked kinda stupid projected.

    Other ones I have but haven't tried out include a UV filter, a red and a light yellow filter.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Scott Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2001
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Try yellow, orange and red with B&W. They darken blue skies and make fleshtones go brighter. Red will make a blue sky go black. I'm tempted to try it for some day for night.

    Scott

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •